History

The original building was built in 1942. At that time, the hall was used as a cinema and gymnasium by the RAF stationed at the nearby Weston Zoyland Airfield (the RAF always separated the name into two words).

From 1950 it started a new life as a secondary school. There were 332 pupils recorded in 1952, rising to 600 in 1961, the year when the school officially closed.

Most of the children then transferred to the newly-built Sydenham Secondary School on the Parkway in Bridgwater. However, the Hall buildings remained in use for a further year, for children who lived outside of the Bridgwater catchment area and who were not able to move to Crispin School in Street, until 1962.

A Memorial Stone commemorating the airfield and it's personnel was unveiled in the car park in 2015.

 

         

Airfield photo courtesy Royal Ordinance Survey. Crown Copyright expired, 50 years after photograph taken in 1994.

Additional information